Thursday, February 24, 2011

Neighbors

A large part of the reason I've been too busy to post this school year is that one of my dear, dear friends moved in two houses down from me in September. She and her husband were searching for a house in Minneapolis, and, so, they've been renting on my block. They found a house, and now they're renovating. In a few weeks they'll be moving away (still within biking distance, though). So, this blog has suffered while we've had morning coffee/tea together and while I've been taking care of her daughter so that she can house hunt, and then paint, and then tile.

...and having my friend's little daughter around has provided an experience for both girls (Mane and my friend's daughter) that I hope will solidify their relationship for life. It's been an experience for Mane...learning to share space and toys and time with someone who's small and doesn't know how to share space or toys or time, to take care of another person, to know what it is to be followed around and admired and to get totally worn out with that. It's been a time for her to grow in her understanding of people and the world and how we all work together to make things "work." Mane has grown a tremendous amount in her ability to be responsible for people and things, though it's sometimes been a painful sort of growth. A few weeks ago she invited our friends to come have lunch with us after Bible Study. I approved the invitation, having no idea what I'd be making for lunch. And, then, a wonderful thing happened! MANE made lunch! Yep. She did.

Yesterday was a beautiful day. We took care of our little friend all day and I sat back and smiled...




1 comments:

Tesha said...

Oh LOOK at the two of them!! I do really think that your daughter will always be that "Big Kid" that my little girl totally admires... I teared up reading this post.

I've been thinking off and on about how important it is to have friends from different generations and ages. It makes us all stronger to talk to people who are a bit (or a lot) older or younger because they offer different perspectives. That's part of what I love so much in the Bible Study group. And that's what I hope our girls give each other.

Related Posts with Thumbnails