Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Homeschool in the midst of life

We finished out last week by reading books about the prairie and identifying plants and animals of the prairie.

Mane spent the weekend with Mango while I went back and forth to the hospital with my aunt. My uncle was in the hospital near our house. Mane did lots of reading with Mango and also had some good playground time!

Monday I brought Mane to the hospital with me and we looked at a book about marbles, since the children in Three Names played marbles. We played a game where one person hides some marbles in the their hand. The other person guesses how many they're hiding. If the guess is correct the guess-er gets to keep the marbles. If the guess is incorrect, the guess-er has to give the difference to the person who was hiding the marbles. I quickly discovered that this is a great way to teach and practice small number subtraction facts! Yeah for us, and my aunt was quite impressed!

My mom was at the hospital as well, and Mane was quite happy to show off her new reading skills by reviewing her most recent Hooked on Phonics stories with my mom. Then she did a math page while we were waiting to talk with doctors and getting ready to leave for lunch.

After lunch, Mane drew a picture of animals that live in the prairie and had a conversation with my uncle about herbivores and predators of the prairie.

Today we biked to the clinic and to Target. Mane is getting to know her way around very well. She's always been very observant of her surroundings. Now that we're biking she leads the way to most familiar destinations. We're both exhausted from a weird weekend, but homeschooling allows us to spread our learning out through the day rather than cramming it into the first 6 hours.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails