Friday, September 2, 2011

NOT back to school


We officially started our school year (without GOing back to school, thank you very much)! This is the end of week 4. We did 3 weeks of relatively "academic" work, and week 4 was a camping trip!

We're using Sonlight this year, though I've made up my own hybrid version. The only things I actually bought from Sonlight were the Instructor Guide and the reading schedule. I have the Instructor Guide for core B/C, which is the World History core. Next year I hope to do core D/E, which is the American History core. I bought many of the readers & read-alouds at thrift stores and garage sales. The rest we're checking out from the library. We're using Saxon math 54, which was given to us. For now, I'm going to keep teaching Language Arts  & handwriting without a curriculum, and I'm working out a science schedule with Mango. 

It's been good so far...very good. The Instructor Guide includes Bible reading and memorization, a schedule for reading the world history books and the read-alouds, discussion questions, suggested poetry reading, and a schedule for reading Aesop's Fables. I love having a schedule mostly worked out for me!

(And did you know you can read Aesop's Fables on-line? They're kind of weird, though. Don't say I didn't warn you.)

And did you know that homeschool means we never stay home? In our first months of school we went to the Peace Games:




We spent some time at Silverwood Park in NE Minneapolis:


We went to birthday parties, parks, libraries, coffee shops, and to DULUTH (where Mane danced at the amphitheater in Leif Erikson Park with her little friend):



So, we're back to school, though not AT school because we homeschool, and not at home because we're almost never home. Peace!

2 comments:

mama k said...

Love it! We are starting this week.. our first official year of HS. I am forcing us to stay home this week to get some routines down. Well mostly, there is too much fun stuff to do! :)

Tesha said...

That peace festival looks like it was tons of fun. I love the facepaint! And the dancing in Duluth - Reminds me I need those pics :) Those two girls are just so cute together.

Related Posts with Thumbnails