Saturday, September 3, 2011

This is Just to Say...

I had one of those unforgettable moments recently when I felt the real, pure joy of homeschooling and witnessing my Mane's unfolding thought processes...

Many of you are familiar with the poem by William Carlos Williams that goes like this:

This is just to say

I have eaten 
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

Well, Mane learned this poem last year, and we read it again this year in A Family of Poems collected by Caroline Kennedy. It's one of my favorites, and, since it's one of my favorites, we spent some time talking about it. Mane memorized it. We repeat it often.

So, several nights ago, Mane finished the container of peanut butter. Mango came out in the kitchen in search of a snack and couldn't find any peanut butter. Mane launched into a parody of the poem by William Carlos Williams. We were all laughing so hysterically that she decided it was worth writing down. Here are the results:


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails