Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Astronomy

This week we started out by watching the youtube videos from this blog post: How Great IS Our God. This post is over at If Life is a Highway, where I also write occasionally. Mane has always been super interested in astronomy. So, this was a chance to talk about how big the universe is, how far away the stars are, how BIG God is, AND ALSO how intricately complicated the human body is...how the God who made the whole big universe also looked into the itty bitty details that make people. They're good videos, good science, good theology. I'd recommend them.

I love it when homeschooling is a conversation. When Mane is still asking questions hours and days later. When whatever we've studied comes up in every day life. I love it when learning just happens out of our natural curiosity. This is the way we learn best. What we learned about stars yesterday came up again today, and we spent another long time discussing astronomy.

We also spent some time last week and this week putting together a dollhouse and some dollhouse furniture that Mane got for her birthday. Her ability to identify pieces and put them together is really quite remarkable. I could see her doing really well with geometry. I guess I better start studying now!

I can feel the year winding down. We've been spending way more time outside, and I'm pushing "academic" work less. I'm guessing we'll pick up some of that work again when it's too hot outside to play this summer. We'll have two weeks when Mango is gone to Baltimore this summer, too, and I'll plan some Five in a Row for those weeks to keep us busy. I"m enjoying the flexibility to enjoy the weather, and Mane's been enjoying bug collecting. She even found a bunch of SNAILS by the garage in the yard out back. Who would have thought. Next time I'll take pictures. ;)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails