Thursday, May 14, 2009

I want to know everything!

Mane asked me the other day to tell her "what all the parts of the body do." I guess we're going to be busy for a while.

Seriously, though, this child has been interested in the human body her whole life long. Skeletons don't scare her, and childbirth movies are popcorn-worthy. Recently we were playing at a park with some other homeschool families. It happened to be a vacation day for school children, also. So, the playground was busy. One little boy there had a hooded sweatshirt that zips up over the head & down the face with eye holes in the front, and it was printed with a skeleton. The mom I was with shook her head and commented on how gross that was. She muttered something about how she hoped her daughter wouldn't run into the kid because she'd be terrified. Guess who Mane thought was the coolest kid on the playground? Yup. You guess it. Skeleton-boy. She LOVES this stuff. Sooooo, we're going to run with it right now and see where we end up.

Yesterday we found pictures of the human heart for her school notebook. We read some about how the heart works, and she watched some youtube videos on the heart. Youtube is so fun!

Aside from that, Mane took MUS test 28 yesterday. She has the concepts down for the rest of MUS Alpha. Now it's just a matter of practice.

Mane sat on the floor and painted with Vespera & Novio yesterday afternoon while I read Story of the World (SOTW) chapter 8 to her (them?). I'm not as impressed with SOTW as I was to begin with, but it works well as a basic framework. It starts out reading like a story, but it quickly turns into a regular history book. It's a good framework, though, and I have a very poor foundation in history. So, I need this...a jumping off point.

The painting was a good lesson by itself, though. Mane learns quite a lot from watching the older two paint. She copied some of the work Novio was doing and compared the work of all three of them. She went around giving complements and making observations. It does wonders for her social development to spend some time participating in their activities, and it strengthens the relationships between them.







Now I need to order Five in a Row (FIAR) volume 2. We never found our missing copy, and I let FIAR slide while we worked on SOTW after Christmas. Now I miss it, and I want to go back, especially for the summer.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails