Thursday, May 28, 2009

Conversations

Mane & I walked to the light rail and back through downtown today to get a "Go To" card for her - a plastic re-loadable bus card. At the light rail station we watched some gophers chase each other up and down under and around the tracks. They stood up on their hind feet to stare at us when they noticed we were looking. What bold little creatures!

On our way to the light rail we talked about all the fruits and vegetable that grow in Minnesota and what we could grow in our yard if we wanted to feed our family. I'm not good at gardening, and my last garden was a gigantic failure, but I just read an article in Mother Earth News about a family that grows all their own food in their yard in the city, and I was inspired. So, Mane and I chatted about it on our way to downtown.

While downtown we visited a coffee shop and talked about God and life and being Pergrins/Pilgrims on a journey to learning and following God. We talked about what it means to serve God and each other, and I told Mane some of the things I especially like about her. She really needs words of affirmation, like Mango. That's a major "love language" for her.

We also had another conversation about DNA, since she has Celiac's disease and she likely gets it from me, though I don't follow a gluten-free diet. She'd really like someone to join her in being gluten free so she took this opportunity to tell me how much better she feels being gluten free.

AND we talked about where sugar comes from and why high fructose corn syrup isn't particularly good for you. I promised that we'd look up some videos on how sugar is made from sugar cane once we got home.

We walked from Nicollet Mall to Government Plaza and stuck our fingers in the fountains. We met a college-aged guy from Boston, who was carrying a huge backpack, and told us he was going to spend his summer working in Ely, MN and in the Boundary Waters. I told him I spent my honeymoon in Ely. He said he was looking for fun & adventure this summer. He seemed so young.

Mane drew faces on the edge of the fountain by dipping her fingers in the water. We talked about why fish wouldn't live in the fountain very well.

On the walk home we talked about how stomping our feet and being angry about loud traffic noises and other nuisances we can't control is a waste of energy, and how we can let things roll off our backs rather than getting all worked up. Mane came up with her own version of that & said she could wiggle it off her back...this she said while wiggling her way down the sidewalk. We both laughed and decided that was a great way to feel better when something is annoying or frustrating.

So, now we're home...contemplating going out in the yard to cut down stray elm trees that are popping up among the peonies.

I'm going to pass off the math homework to Mango tonight while I go with Vespera to an award's banquet. Maybe a fresh face with make the work more fun for Mane.

All in all, the day has already been full with conversation and learning. It's only 2:45pm. Just think what could happen before we get to bed!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails