Friday, May 29, 2009

Psychology

We woke up & spent an HOUR on math this morning. It wasn't pretty, but we're needing to plow through this stuff. Turns out Mane KNOWS the material and wants to take the test rather than doing all the practice problems. I thought maybe that was the issue, but she wasn't getting that if she just took the test, I'd let her move on and we wouldn't be stuck practicing the same concepts over and over. I think I've communicated that ONE THOUSAND different ways this year. It finally sunk in this morning...after an hour. I wouldn't even make her take the test if she'd consistently demonstrate that she knows something, but she pretends to forget and need help every time we sit down to work on math. She's got some complicated psychology.

After the hour of math, she happily moved on to handwriting. Still loving handwriting.

Then we went outside and planted bushes with Grandma and watered the plants...talked about the water table and how dry it's been. It got so warm that Mane changed into her bathing suit and ran in the sprinkler. We've been hoping for some rain. None yet today.

We came back in and worked on the 100 Words book. Mane used the things she learned in handwriting practice this morning to write out her workbook answers. She's happily working through the 100 Words book right now, very pleased with herself. Seems like we can't be happy with both math and reading at the same time. Right now reading is more fun. Go figure.

I'm trying to reason out my own philosophy of learning. Ideally I'd like to see Mane learn math & reading in real life and have it not be a chore or even a workbook, sit-down activity. On the other hand, I feel like she needs some consistent practice in these areas. I'd like to be sure the practice is fun and practical, but I'm not sure how to make that work without making it WORK. I need some time this summer to really think out how I want to homeschool next year...philosophically and practically.

Oh, and we're still watching that caterpillar munch on leaves in the jar on the kitchen table. No signs of spinning a cocoon, but it's certainly getting fatter. ;)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails